Saturday, October 11, 2008

Traffic madness in Chennai

Having lived for 40 years in smaller towns I had lot of reservation in driving in Chennai when I moved in with my family and my very own favorite Honda Sleek bike in 1993 . The traffic arrangement then was good, people were courteous and bigger vehicles always let the smaller ones to move about without blaring horns or threatening them from behind/sides on busy thoroughfares.

Now after 15 years, and after a knee surgery, anti-hypertensives, and a gear less scooter-type vehicle I find myself to be in a big web! I never felt the difficulty when I used to drive from Madras to Vellore/Kanchipuram/Chingleput/Bangalore and a host of other southern cities.

The traffic arrangement is just chaotic. Traffic signals are switched off during peak hour! Thesre are not many "men" to control the traffic. Two wheelers literally weave through the traffic and every possible motorable space (including space between two buses) is "utilized" by the youngsters who always move about with their helmets comfortably seated on the fuel tank of their bikes! Not many policemen seem to be questioning the erring public, and on reaching arterial roads they wear it just to satisfy the constable on duty. Can not the department think of bringing in a more stern action on the violaters than 'warning' them? How about handing over a headgear and charge the erring motorist? How many helmets one would want to carry around or display at home??!!

Stop lines are drawn at all major interjunctions and are useful for these "frenzied" drivers to cross over it and drve in even before the green light is on!

On the famous Anna Salai (I prefer calling this Mount Road, though) you can always see the twowheelers driving on all lanes, driving other drivers mad.

I appeal to all my friends who read this and those who use the roads of Madras to be more couteous to other drivers.

God save all of us

No comments: