Monday, November 13, 2006

Konapet - revisited in 2006

I revisited Konapet after five long years. My last visit, shall I call it "lost visit" was to get the ancestral house vacated in the year 2000. I left with a heavy heart, and of course my lacrimal glands were fully activated. Could not control my emotions, I decided to take a bus to trichy and then from there an omni bus and thus avoided traveling with the articles from that 60+ year old domain.

This time, I went with my mother and sister for a day. Konapet has not changed at all. The same old place, I felt the warmth, enjoyed the fragrance of the familiar soil. Alagaperumal Oorani, our family friend and well wisher Shri.Maapillai Chettiar, and Kalimuthu Annan of the once-great Saraswathi Stores, my very own school, the old class rooms, and not to forget the temples and the way people remembered Doctor ayya --- everything moved me a lot.

Given an option I would like to come here again for the "poochorithal" next year.

My Love for Konapet just gotten stronger by this lightening visit.

1 comment:

Mukhilvannan said...

Dear Padnabhan,
I am writing this from Boston, USA.
I happened to see your blog just now.
It brought me memories of yore. It took me back into the history. Konapet-yes-the cute and charming village is where I was born and studies upto SSLC in Sri Saraswathi High School. If my memory serves right, I am a class mate of your uncle P. Krishnamoorthy (Kittayi). I had been to your house and had treatment for minor ailments from your grandfather Dr. Padmanabhan. Dr. Padmanabhan happens to be a college mate of my father-in-law Dr. Seshagiri Sastri in Thanjavur Medical School.
Whatever you have described about Konapet is true.
Mine is a long journey in life. The journey took me to Tiruchi, Chennai, Delhi and US.
I would like to contact Mr. PK. I last met him in Loyola College in Chennai and stayed with him in his hostel room for a night in 1950(?). Then I heard that he moved to Bangalore.
Can you kindly intimate his email id? I can be contacted at es.krishnamoorthy@gmail.com
Regards
S. Krishnamoorthy